Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Transitions (Blog #6)

It's been awhile since I last posted. In the past month I have left Emerald Heights and gone to Evergreen, where I aspire to work someday. I was so excited to leave long-term care and enter what I considered, "the real world." Of course I know this not to be true, but I have never envisioned myself working in a nursing home environment and to be honest, I was getting a little bored. I was excited for acute care, needles, and a different range of patients. Unfortunately, I got quite ill the week we started Med-Surg, and I had to miss my first week at Evergreen. I was so disappointed to have finally made it to Evergreen, and then to be sent home because I was deemed too sick. Of course, this was completely true and I should have stayed home to begin with, but I guess I was just too excited to start that I thought it might be ok.

SO, I had to start a week late. This birthed feelings of nervousness due to the fact that I thought I had missed introductory information regarding procedures, equipment, and overall important "stuff" from the nurses and staff that I would need to quickly catch up on. In all actuality, I had not missed much and was able to jump right in and care for a patient my very first day.

Do I like Med-Surg? Yes. Do I want to be there for the rest of my career? No. And of course, things will most likely change once we finish our rotations in the next year and a half, but I feel like I need to specialize in an area that I have more of an interest in. Thoughts of continuing my education were solidified after spending a month on the Med-Surg floor, where I feel like it is too general of an area.

So, what has God been doing in my life through all this? He's been teaching me to wait on him. Wait on him for everything that I'm nervous about, scared for, and excited in. Because I could plan, and plan, and plan. It doesn't matter what my plans are, it matters what God's will is for my life and what HIS plans are. The trick is learning to wait on him to discover what those plans include. How reassuring it is to know that God has my best interests at heart. If that weren't so, my future would look a lot less hopeful, but instead, it looks bright!

No comments:

Post a Comment