Sunday, December 13, 2009
Technology (Blog #9)
I think technology is becoming more and more crucial to nursing and learning. There are so many things that can be done more quickly and efficiently when using technology. Time expended on charting and procedures can be reduced. One unfortunate aspect is the fact that the older population of nurses are not quite as adept at adapting to the new technology as the younger generation, so I'm sure it will create some problems when it comes time to implementing all of the new ideas and programs. Another problem is that although most of charting is completed on the computer (at least at Evergreen), important things like doctors' orders and progress notes are still handwritten. This means that the nurse has to chart on the computer and in the book, which seems like an unnecessary waste of time. However, I think that with the older population of nurses soon to be retiring, technology will appeal to the younger generation, which will make them more efficient.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You know what I heard? On our last day of clinicals at Evergreen they said that they were working on having doctor's orders in the compute charting as well. The doctor's would become responsible to type them in themselves. It would help to clear up some of the confusion regarding sloppy writing and hard to decipher scribbles. Yet, another way that technology has been integrated to support the medical community in upholding the highest quality of service effectively and efficiently. #11
ReplyDelete